Fresh cranberries have this strong tart flavor which makes it difficult to consume fresh. But nature provides some amazing benefits with such fruits; cranberries are one of the fruits that have the lowest blood sugar. So, I tried making pickle out of it and it tasted delicious. Indian style pickles tastes spicy -tangy and goes well with Roti, chapathi, Paratha, curd rice. It can also be consumed with plain white rice. So, let’s jump into recipe.
- 3 cups cranberry
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp of fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp of asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp of ginger powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. of jaggery powder
- Wash the cranberries well and let them dry for few minutes.
- In a frying pan, add 2 tsp sesame oil.
- Once the oil heats up, add cranberries ,salt, ginger powder and turmeric powder . Let them cook for 5- 6 mins .
- Cranberries cook fast and they get mushy very soon ,so just keep stirring from time to time.
- Once they have cooked completely, transfer them to a bowl. It should look like a mushy paste.(Note: If you would like a crunchy feel of the cranberries, cook them half way through)
- In a different frying pan (small one), add 5 – 6 tbsp. of sesame oil.(Note: Pickles need more amount of oil than our usual cooking for their longer shelf life and to avoid fungal formation)
- Once the oil heats up, add mustard seeds.
- After the mustard seeds splutter ,add fenugreek seeds.
- Add 2 tsp. of chili powder in the hot oil and asafoetida and turn off the gas stove immediately. If u leave it for long, chili powder burns off and would ruin the flavor of the pickle.
- Add the cranberry paste inside this oil mix and stir well.
- Add 1 1/2 tsp of jaggery powder.
Serve this pickle with hot roti or just with a simple curd rice. Hope you all enjoy this wonderful recipe of mine.